Mold On Plaster: Is It Possible For Mold To Grow On Plaster?

Plaster is not an ideal food source for mold growth. It is not a food source for mold. Plaster is not porous, meaning it isn’t permeable to water or air. It is also non-organic. Plaster is made from a lime or clay-based base, and it is very similar in appearance to concrete. However, you will not see mold on plaster walls. This simply means that mold isn’t growing due to the plaster.

Plaster Mold – What to Do?

Mold can be seen on plaster walls. Mold can be seen on plaster walls when it is digesting and eating the plaster. It could be paint or organic dust particles. Or it could grow through cracks in plaster and consume whatever is behind it.

Older homes built in the 1930s or earlier had plaster mixed with wood lath and then nailed to the studs. If the plaster is still intact on the walls of your home from this time, you may have wooden lath. This wooden lath is susceptible to mold growth.

From the 1930’s to World War II, construction industry shifted towards prefabrication like plywood and special drywall. This drywall product was sometimes called “button board” and was typically 2’x4′ in size. These drywall prefab products had a paper backing on both sides. They were similar to today’s drywall. Although there is plaster on top of the drywall, mold can still grow on the paper backing.

Mold can grow on plaster walls if they are painted with latex paint. However, most people assume the mold is growing on plaster. Latex is an organic material, and organic materials can be a nutrient to mold.

It might not be mold

It’s possible that the mold you see is not mold. Instead, it could be efflorescence. Efflorescence refers to a crystallized, salt-like substance that forms on concrete, plaster, and masonry (plaster might not be porous, but water can still pass through cracks and gaps). Water moves through these materials and brings along unbounded salts. The water evaporates leaving behind a fluffy white substance. The odor of the efflorescence or mold can be used to distinguish them. While efflorescence smells musty, efflorescence is not. A simple water test can be done. Spray water on efflorescence and it will start to dissolve. Mold will not. Efflorescence does not grow on wood or other wooden materials.

Mold Exposure: Dangerous

Mold is nature’s method of eliminating dead (or non-viable) organic material, whether they are plants or animals. Mold can be found both indoors and out. Mold is not usually a problem unless you have a particular allergy to mold or mold spores. Mold can cause health problems in your home and indoors if it reaches high levels.

Mold can come into your home in many ways. Mold can get into your home through your clothing, shoes, windows and doors, as well as your pets and plants. Mold spores will not grow if they land near food or moisture sources. Mold will grow and expand if the conditions are right.

According to the CDC, mold exposure can lead to many health problems.

  • Stuffy nose
  • Eye irritation
  • Skin rashes
  • Allergy reactions
  • Asthma in children
  • Chronic lung disease
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Coughing
  • Fatigue

Plaster Mold Removal

Mold can be very dangerous so protective clothing is essential. Safety and safety of your family should always come first.

Your furnace or air conditioner should be turned off. Cover cold air returns and heat registers with plastic. This will keep any mold spores that have been contaminated from getting into your HVAC system. You can also close the door to let the mold out of one room. To transport mold spores outside, you can blow a fan out of the window.

Warm water and antimicrobial cleaning products should be added to a bucket. As many disposable rags you can gather. Ring the rag with a wet rag. Use the wet rag to scrub the affected area. Place the rag in a bag to catch dirt and make a new one. Never double-dip! You should continue scrubbing until the mold is gone.

Use a fresh bucket of water to rinse the entire room. This will collect any mold spores which have become airborne in the cleaning process. All rags and bags that you have used should be thrown out.

Use a fan to air dry the walls for at minimum 24 hours. Close the doors and windows.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.